I am an experienced Software Engineer, Devops evangelist and part time entrepreneur working and living in
Cape Town. I have experience working abroad in London UK as well as remotely.
- Experienced Open Source developer with solid application architecture and infrastructure
skills who has a proven track record of delivering solutions to solve business problems in
different environments, which include hosting, agency, mobile and charity, the uk government and
most recently retail.
- Over 14 years industry experience where my main focus has been building PHP web
applications and API’s, working on the application stack and filling the gap between development
and operations. I am best suited for a strong Lead/Senior Development role or a Devops position
where I can help bridge the gap between development and operations.
- I personally feel my skill set and knowledge is transferable which means I have the ability to write code
in different programming languages, pickup new technologies fast or learn a new framework if
required to do so.
- I first learnt to program a computer at the age of 15 which means that I count myself extremely lucky to have
discovered my passion at such a young age. Having watched Technology change so rapidly over the
last 20 years keeps me humble and makes me realise I always have something to Learn.
I've realised over my short career that aptitude and attitude matter more than specific
technicals skills. Technology changes fast and one has to be willing to adapt to the ever
changing environment. For my next role I would be keen to go into a position where I can learn
new things but also contribute using my technical background and experience. I feel I could be a
well suited to a Devops position or writing software in a language other than PHP. Whilst
it may take time to get up to speed on new platforms and languages this is part of the fun and
provides a challenge and growth.
Golang. Have worked with bits of Ruby and Java.
||Enjoy implementing and Automating Infrastructure, Architecture and building deployment pipelines.
||Occasional public speaker with experience at conferences
and user groups
||Co-organiser of the PHP Cape Town user group from January 2016 to December 2018.
Regularly try and attend conferences
||Please connect with me on Linkedin to see my recommendations
In 2015 after working in the industry for 13 years took a leap into Entrepreneurship and used my
technical skills to build comparemysupermarkert.co.za. I learnt Golang as a new programming language.
Built the entire product from scratch myself including front-end, back-end and infrastructure.
I have discontinued the product for the time being
Golang, PHP Zend Framework 2/3, Symfony Components, Doctrine, Linux(Ubuntu), AWS (EC2, ELB, SES), MySQL, Ansible, Docker
November 2016 - present: Built an online business selling goods on one of South Africas biggest market
Built an online store on one of South Africas biggest marketplaces so I had income to continue working
January 2014 - December 2015:
Software Developer/Lead Developer at UK
Goverment working on the LPA Application
contracted via TransformUK
Joining pre-launch, I helped build the back office lpa processing system. Eventually occupied the
position of Lead Developer, designing and implementing the Microservices architecture hosted on AWS.
Worked on the project remotely for 8 months.
- Design and implementation of the Wep Apps and Back-end APIs.
- Provided technical leadership.
- Working closely with operations on the infrastructure and Architecture.
The LPA technology platform
- Micro services SOA architecture comprising of PHP APIs, Docker, AWS and queues that used Amazon SQS.
- Search built using ElasticSearch.
- Monitoring with the ELK stack.
- Built Reporting tools and exports.
October 2010 - December 2013: Contract Developer, Consultant and Operations at Comic
During my 3 years at Comic Relief I did both Software Development,Operations and Consultancy work. The
main achievement was being a core part of the team that built comics relief scalable fundraising
platform which has raised millions of pounds for charity.
Developer using PHP to build
- Comic Reliefs Bespoke Scalable fundraising platform for Multiple Sport Relief and Red Nose Day
campaigns which raised millions of pounds for charity.
- Maintenance of Legacy PHP API’s.
- Module Development for Drupal Websites.
- Integrating with payment gateways ( Worldpay and Paypal )
- Responsible for architectural decisions and design.
- Integrating 3rd party web services for social media connectivity, sending emails etc
- General troubleshooting and problem resolution on the production stack.
- Working with the Solutions Architect to build a scalable infrastructure for hosting of Comic Reliefs
core websites on AWS using chef for configuration management.
- Migrated Comic Reliefs core Drupal Websites to this new Infrastructure.
- General day to day Linux administration on legacy servers for Comic Relief's non-core websites.
- Maintain System and architectural documentation.
- Worked closely with BI team to produce data extracts from operational database to be imported into
the data warehouse.
- On call for application support during campaign time.
- Liaising closely with Carrenza our cloud hosting partner for the fundraising platform.
- Load testing and optimising applications to make them more performant.
- Automating Deployment of Applications.
Technologies and methodologies used
Agile,TDD,BDD, PHP Zend Framework 1, Symfony Components, Drupal, Doctrine, Linux
(Ubuntu,CentOS), AWS(EC2,ELB,S3 CloudFront, EBS), Apache, Varnish, Chef-Solo (little-chef), Jmeter, Bash
Scripts, Vagrant, Git, SVN, MySQL, Gearman, RabbitMQ, Capistrano for Deployment, Sensu, Jenkins, Drupal
6.0, Memcache, Nagios.
June 2008 - September 2010: Senior developer at Playphone
- Working in a global team based across 4 countries (Argentina, Brazil, USA and England) in 2
different teams using SCRUM as a development methodology.
- Working with Product Owners within all levels of the business, and all relevant teams such as
Marketing and Operations.
- Development and Maintenance of websites for desktop and mobile browsers using the LAMP Stack.
- Test Driven OO PHP5 Development using Zend Framework 1 using Simple Test as a testing framework.
- Mentoring Junior Developers.
- System Analysis and Design of items in the product backlog.
- Integrating mobile websites with mobile aggregators e.g. IPX
- Working closely with QA and operations during testing of new software to resolve bugs and ensuring
software meets the requirements.
- Troubleshooting and case analysis of complex system problems. Active involvement Release -
Management Process and release of software to various environments.
- Developing systems for adhoc reporting.
March 2007 - May 2008: Contract PHP Developer at Totally Communications
The main purpose of my contract role was the development and maintenance of websites and bespoke web
applications for the companies clients using a bespoke CMS that the company had built.
June 2003 - November 2006: Junior Programmer and Web Developer at Hetzner
- Programming of web based applications for Hetzner’s external client facing systems using LAMP
- Worked extensively on the development of Hetzner’s Proprietary Control Panel which was nominated for
a Top Technology 100 Award. A demo can be viewed at:
- Maintaining the internal web based systems of the company from Billing,CRM and account
- Involved with the full system development life cycle from start to finish.
- Developed requirements documents as well as testing documents. Management of the testing process and
implementation/deployment of systems. Cross browser testing was done with Opera, Internet Explorer
and Firefox. Ensured systems were properly documented.
- I worked on the help desk for a 3 month period to provide technical support to clients.
2001 - 2005: Cape Penisula University of Technology
- Btech: Information Technology